keeping you full till dinner
I am the first to admit I am a snacker. Especially at work. It is easier to eat chips or pretzels throughout the day instead of waiting by the microwave to cook my frozen meal. I usually end up grabbing a snack at the vending machine and eating empty calories throughout the day until dinner time. Here is a mix and match, high protein snack mix to keep you full till dinner time.
The best thing about this snack is you can make it with anything laying around the house already. Have some cereal that is about to go stale? Why not add it!
I always make a big batch and store it in an air type container. I pre-make the bags so all I have to do is grab a bag in the morning. It can’t get much easier than that!
Choose your favorite combination. Go crazy and figure out your mix! My personal favorite is what I call Chocolate Covered Strawberry. Check it out at the bottom of the page.
I would love to hear what your mix snack mix style is. Comment it below. Enjoy!
No cooking needed. Pour, mix and go!
CHOOSE YOUR BASE
- Baked cheese squares
CHOOSE YOUR NUTS OR SEEDS
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sesame crackers
- Wasabi beans
- Bagel chip
- Chocolate chips
- Dried cherries
- Dried Strawberries
- Peanut butter chips
- Peanut butter
Chocolate Covered Strawberry:
- Base: Popcorn and Pretzel
- Nuts: Almonds and Walnuts
- Sweets: Dried Strawberries, Craisins
It is important to balance out what you eat with exercise. Check out the fitness blog to find tips on staying fit and workouts to try.
Fall is finally here. Time to bring out the flannels and buy pumpkin spice everything. Pumpkins may be the food of the fall, but don’t forget about it’s cousin the squash. Squash is full of fiber, antioxidants, and nutrients. Squash is a low calorie and zero fat option to add to your fall diet according to Mayo Clinic Health Systems. This healthy lemon blossom squash bread is the perfect Autumn treat that you don’t have to feel guilty about.
There are also a ton of benefits for shopping in season. You can have fresher options, save money by buying in-season and support local businesses by buying from local farmer markets are farms.
I am a huge fan of lemon and remember my mom baking bite-sized lemon blossom cakes for us growing up. My sister shared this recipe with me a year ago and brings back all the nostalgia. She found it on Pinterest from The Spruce I am telling you, you will not notice this bread is packed with healthy vitamins and fiber. It will please the pickiest of eaters. You don’t have to feel guilty about going back for seconds. You can have your cake and eat it too!
Quick Bread Batter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 8 ounces butter (melted)
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups summer squash (yellow, shredded)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup (light)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (powdered)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Make the Quick Bread
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat oven to 350 F and thoroughly coat two 8 x 4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Place the yellow squash in a colander over a sink to drain any liquid.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and melted butter until well combined.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add these dry ingredients to the batter and mix only until it’s well combined.
- Add the drained squash to the quick bread batter mixing thoroughly until well combined.
- Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (begin checking at 45 minutes). While quick loaves of bread are baking, make the lemon glaze.
Make the Lemon Glaze
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of milk and the corn syrup until the mixture is almost simmering.
- Whisk in powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. If it seems too thick, add 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until it looks more fluid but still thick. Set aside until needed.
- When quick bread has finished baking, remove from oven and place on a wire rack. Do not unmold yet.
- Immediately brush on the lemon glaze and let the loaves cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the quick bread and carefully remove from the pan. Let cool completely on top of the wire rack.
Let us know what you think of this recipe by commenting below! Check out our other blog post on fall-inspired Tips on Busy Mom Workouts: How to burn calories at the pumpkin patch.
Short on time and looking for something to keep you satisfied through the day?
Thanks to In Search of Yummyness, we have a recipe for you that’s perfect as a meal or snack.
- -1 cup almond milk
- -1/4 cup rolled oats
- -1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- -1 tsp maple syrup
- -1/2 cup blueberries
- -1 tsp ground flax
- -100 g Greek yogurt
- vanilla or coconut flavored -ice cubes
For an optional topping, use granola Instructions:
Pour the almond milk into a bowl. Add the oats and allow them to soak for 5-10 minutes.
Pour the oat mixture into a blender and add all of the other ingredients, except the granola. Blend until smooth, and top with granola if desired.
For all you coffee lovers, we have a delicious protein shake that you can make in your Blender Bottle.
It’s a great protein-packed pick me up to take on your day!
- 2 cups of ice
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (chocolate powder for a mocha taste)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup of brewed coffee
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
Directions: In the order listed, add ingredients to your shaker cup, close the lid, and shake until smooth.
Thanks to a delicious recipe by Kirbie’s Cravings, we can share a healthier grilled cheese alternative- Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (raw), cut into small florets, remove stem
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 thick slices of white cheddar cheese (you can also use shredded cheddar cheese)